Friday, April 25, 2008

Georgia Thursday and Friday

Firstly, all I can say is that I am so happy it is not cold here. The weather is great, a little hot and a little humid, but beautiful. We arrived on Thursday evening and went to dinner at a place called the Brick. The beer list was so long and I knew that Grant would have loved to have stayed the night trying all of their beers. We all hung out and had dinner together including Leigh’s fiancée Jeff and friend and fellow racer, Iona. The food here is so tasty and inexpensive compared to Southern California prices. We are staying right now in the town of Decatur which is just adorable. Leigh and Jeff are showing us around and every place we have been to has been fantastic.

Melissa and I are room/bed buddies and are staying with Jennifer. Their dog, Willie (a weimaraner), has taken to us and he is our new buddy. Melissa and I hung out this morning and put our bikes together. We took a quick jaunt to Starbucks and then hooked up with Jeff (Leigh’s fiancée - team Inferno), Tim (Jittery Joe’s), Jenny T (another teammate) and Jaime (Inferno) and went for the most gorgeous ride. I can’t even tell you where we went because we took so many turns but it was really nice. Also, most people here are very into cycling as it is Jittery Joe’s hometown and they wave and call out to you as you go by.

This is the city for me. A scooter only parking sign!

We ended our ride back in Decatur at the Java Monkey where I had the best Panini sandwich and fresh fruit. Again, fresh food but very reasonably priced. The café is way adorable and we are meeting there tomorrow for a team ride. I am looking forward to a cup of joe there and a pastry.

After our meal, we all headed to our respective houses for a shower and rest time. Willie hung out with us again. We then went to dinner at Fox Brothers Bar-B-Q where I had the best pulled pork and beans. I am loving the South, being the meat lover that I am. I must say that everyone here is really friendly and they all chat and talk with you on the street. Love that!

Well, it is off to bed for me as tomorrow after our morning spin it is off to Athens for the Twilight Crit. I am so excited and it is known as one of the best crits on the circuit. We race at night and the crowds are just crazy.


Jenny and Jaime at the Java Monkey

No comments: