Thursday, May 1, 2008

SE Crit Series – Walterboro Wed 4/30 and Greenwood Thurs 5/1

Wednesday

So sorry for the delay in the blogs. Sometimes there is so much stuff to do that just resting becomes an issue. Well I have finally admitted that I have a slight cold. It is only in my nose so that is good. Our host family is so awesome and they let us stay one more night so we commuted a little over an hour to Walterboro. We did the usual AM ride and then rested and ate some lunch. Then it was time to hit the road. When we arrived at Walterboro the main highway was blocked. We thought it was for an accident and then found out that the Walterboro Courthouse had a bomb threat. Wow, a bomb threat in the little town of Walterboro? Once we routed our way to the race course we found out that the Courthouse is on the race course. Our race was supposed to start at 5:30pm but we started after 6:30pm.

Bad picture from the car of the front of the Marine Air Corp in Beaufort


The start/finish line in Walterboro


The race was fast paced as usual and the course had some rough spots and sand. The usual teams Aaron’s, Colavita and Cheerwine were aggressive on the front and we were doing our best to go with things. I even felt spunky and attacked on the backside but everyone was on my wheel. The course was a hard course to stay near the front as there were some narrow roads and as the race went on the course was pretty dark. A break of 6 girls got up the road and we unfortunately missed it. I had just gone with 2 primes/attacks where gaps had occurred and then it went. On was on the right side of the road and it went on the left. Ugh!!!!

Our team did a gallant effort to bridge and pull it back but since all of the 3 big teams were represented we did not get any help. As the laps clicked down I realized a field sprint was our best bet. I fought hard on the last couple of laps to find Tina Pic's wheel. On the last lap I gave a little inch to Jenny and suffered for it. I spent the rest of the lap hustling to regain position and came in 15th overall. Jenny was able to get 9th overall. I have to admit I was pretty bummed and ended up getting dropped down to 9th overall in the series. Tomorrow is another day. Luckily we headed back to the Kessel’s who had the most amazing pasta dinner waiting for us. I have to say they are the best host family ever!

Thursday

We got up earlier this morning to get a ride in. Melissa led us on a great path towards these golf courses and great homes. We even had a deer run in front of us.



Right before the deer crossing.


Some cute homes along the way.

Back to the great house to eat all of the leftovers from all of the great meals and then we hit the road. We had a 4 ½ hour drive to Greenwood which is north of Beaufort. It was a beautiful drive through some great country roads. I did not take any photos because my camera was in the back and I drove part of the way. I kept thinking, where are we going?

We got in early and were able to check in to our hotel for some R & R right before the race. Today we were joined by Leigh (yeah!) so I was trainer less. X would have been proud as I warmed up on the road and felt great. I was happy that we were racing a little earlier at 5:30pm and the temperature was warmer. The course was great with a little rise to the finish and a chicane on the back side. We were also joined by Sonja, a regional Vanderkitten rider. More legs for us.

Our goal today was to not let a break get away without one of us in it. Success! We were all attentive on the front and were very good about staying with things that would go away. It was great to have Leigh with her fresh energy. Melissa nearly got in a break but it was brought back. Two times I was with a good group up the road but the pack caught us. We were all very encouraging and helping each other. I was feeling good despite my clogged nose. I was jamming it up the side on the front straight up the hill and a rider put their front wheel into my foot which totally ripped my buckle off my shoe. Now my shoe was just held on with the Velcro. I asked on the radio if I could go to the pits and Kele heard me and was not sure. I did not want to risk it as I would be a lap down. I suffered through the rest of the race. I tend to pull up a lot when I sprint especially up hill and each time my foot kept slipping out of the shoe more and more. I tried as best I could to retighten the Velcro but it always seemed to come loose.

As the lap cards went down I knew we were going into a field sprint. I had great position with 3 laps to go and then had a bad position. I started to freak out a little bit about my shoe concerned that I would sprint and fly out of it. I think my mind kind of freaked me out and I had horrible positioning into the last turn. I past a bunch of riders and held up at the line to not pip Jenny Trew. It is not classy to pip a teammate. We came in 14th, 15th and Melissa came in 16th. She rode a great race and her and Leigh got some primes!


My poor buckle or lack of one I should say!


Leigh and I enjoying our Spotted Dick dessert and the pub.

Well it is off to bed for me. I hope that I can find a Sidi buckle for tomorrow. If not it is duct tape for me to keep my shoe on. I hope tomorrow is a better day. I know I am better than how I am racing. I am so frustrated!

No comments: